If you are a developer or tester, you must be familiar with Selenium. Selenium is a free automation testing suite with many tools available. There are many automation platforms and suites available, among which Selenium is the most popular UI test automation tool.
On the other hand, askui represents a coded UI automation framework called James which is purely based on identifying elements based on UI characteristics or visual appearance.
Let’s understand how both of these tools work and how each one differentiates from one another.
Benefits of Selenium :
Selenium uses a selector-based testing process, and as it is an open-source tool, it doesn’t require any license costing. Here are some benefits of Selenium-based testing.
- Java/ Python / C# /Ruby and .net are the languages used for the writing test scripts
- Easy integration is available with tools such as TESTNG
- Suitable for continuous testing
- Selenium is an open source framework suitable for all types of automation testing, but the most used are functional and end to end.
- Selenium comes with a toolkit catering to different business requirements but selenium web driver is widely used.
How selenium differs from askui :
|License for each user||Doesn’t need any licensing||As of now, it is usable for free and provides an open endpoint.|
|OS Support||It usually works on all the OS, but since selenium is a selector based approach, it doesn’t handle how OS operates||Works on all OS, making it platform independent. It simulates manual actions by controlling the OS|
|Method to identify elements||Selector based approach, dependent on HTML/CSS selectors||Non selector based approach, labels with visual appearance|
|UI changes||Have to adjust as per the HTML locators||Doesn’t matter if the position or selector changes|
|Types of testing||Mostly functional and end to end||UI testing is prominent but suitable for all types of automation|
|Platforms can be automated||Web based applications||Suitable for desktop , web, mobile and games|
|Coding knowledge||Required to write the test scripts||Easy to read fluent API with relational descriptions|
|Technology||Automation through web interfaces||Neural nets trained on the appearance of UI elements|
|Reporting||TestNG can be integrated||Reporting/analysis is easier with screenshots|
|Debug||Need xpath information and access to code to debug||With the help of screenshots or visual representation of application under test|
|Use cases||Functional and end to end||UI automation, functional, end to end tests|
|Coding languages used||Java/Python/C#/Ruby and .net||Node JS, however you don’t require specific coding experience for writing the tests|
askui is a next-gen concept in UI automation testing. askui is committed to giving vision to your code and helping you to automate any use case by OS automation.
askui has introduced a simulation with a human tester and named it “AI James.” This revolutionary AI automation system can find UI elements on any operating system by implementation of neural network approach.
AI James allows the automation of cross-application workflows that helps testers on a different level.
Things that are possible with askui
With the help of askui James, you can automate all possible UI commands with real interaction simulations.
- Human Action Simulation
This feature makes James different and unique from Selenium. James does not need access to underlying code selectors or DOM. You can Experience the real human movement in mouse and element click.
- Free from selectors
James is capable of identifying UI elements based on visual features. It uses modern deep learning technology to perform well.
- Umbrella approach
James is capable of enabling automation on all UI technologies without any hassle
Things that are possible in askui but not in Selenium
- Any UI element can be received with the help of AI James as it understands the interfaces like a normal human.
- Single interface for all kinds of devices to automate- Desktop, web, and mobile, everything under a single roof.
- Defining action and receiving elements with visual representation. James uses a fluent API and gives you all possible actions, including drag & drop /swipe or others.
- With askui, you can automate any application or OS and start the development pipeline using the integrated client.
- Identification of UI elements based on visual features using modern deep learning technologies.
- Plain English-like instructions for automating the tests which are easy to understand and maintain. Selenium does not have this mechanism, or to enable something like that, it will have to be integrated with some other tools or technologies.
- Exact replication of mouse clicks or actions performed manually is possible with James with the significantly reduced probability of failing tests. On the other hand, selenium comes with a record/playback feature in one of the versions, but that won’t be considered completely automated and reliable.
Selenium is still widely used for test automation and has been coping with modern testing techniques. This blog will help you understand the basic differences and use cases for the selector and non-selector approaches. askui is enabled with an intelligent test editor that helps create test cases. It helps the user to understand the test steps. You can get the control of an operating system and can perform real clicks or keystrokes instead of interacting via an interface.
One must always consider selecting an automation tool based on multiple factors such as the platform, application, testing technique used, and the budget.
Choose your tool wisely! Happy testing ☺